It’s hard to get in shape and make the right choices when you have a busy schedule, whether that be managing your own business or taking care of your kids. When hunger strikes, sometimes it is just easier to drive-thru when you know it’s not the healthiest option. Here are some tips to help all of us with a busy schedule stay on track and make the right choices.
- Plan Ahead. At 3pm are you reaching for a snack? When you don’t bring snacks for yourself, you probably reach for those doughnuts in the break room. Next week, take a moment on Sunday and think about what snacks you should have throughout the coming week. Make it easy for yourself and buy things that are prepared. That way all you need to do is grab it on your way out the door. If you have a habit of forgetting to grab things on your way out the door, bring enough snacks for the entire week on Monday morning and leave them at your desk.
- Break Time? Mini-Workout Time! Whenever you have a free moment to yourself, take advantage of that time. Take a walk during your lunch hour. Do 5 minutes of squats or pushups. These small increments will add up to a healthier you.
- Drink Lots of Water. Has your doctor ever told you to drink more water? Well, do it! When you hydrate your body, you are helping it flush out toxins. One of the easiest ways to lose weight is to make sure you are getting enough water. Make sure you are getting at least the daily recommendation of 8 ounce glasses, 8 times a day.
- Eliminate Stress. That’s easy to write on paper, but hard to follow. When you are a busy person, stress is just part of your everyday. Taking time to help yourself stay calm is important, not only for your sanity, but for your overall health. Consider waking up early to meditate, a proven way to help you with anxiety. When you are in a stressful situation, take time to calm down. Working out, even walking for 30 minutes, is shown to help you with stress.
- Get Enough Sleep. If you are staying busy, you probably have to wake up early and stay up late, but the importance of getting enough sleep can’t be emphasized enough. Without enough sleep, you won’t be operating at your full potential. Even if 8 hours a night isn’t in the cards for you, try to plan for at least 6. Keeping yourself rested is key to keeping yourself healthy.