The American Academy of Pediatrics offers these suggestions to help reduce your child’s chances of pain and injury:
- Make sure your child’s pack has a padded back and wide shoulder straps with padding.
- Use the compartments inside the backpack to make sure it’s well-organized, with the heaviest items toward the back.
- Avoid overloading the pack. Don’t exceed more than 20 percent of your child’s body weight.
- Make sure your child always uses both shoulder straps.
- If your child must carry a lot of heavy books, see if the school allows a rolling backpack.
Non-Surgical Orthopaedics, P.C. specializes in back pain, and we see many kids with back injuries from heavy backpacks. call 770-421-1420 today for an appointment.